DUMPIN’ THE DONUTS : Dunkin Donuts

Dunkin’ Donuts’ leadership at the Dunkin’ Brands Group Inc. corporate office has made the decision to ditch the term “Donuts” from the name of their 9,261 restaurants across the U.S., saying that they now have a focus on beverages which constitutes 60 percent of their sales – they don’t care about the other 40 percent, then?

They contend that just because they’re ditchin’ “donuts” in their name doesn’t mean that they’re going to stop making and selling them.  Folks, it just doesn’t get any sillier than this – as someone said, the new name doesn’t make any sense grammatically – what are you Dunkin’ if there’s no Donut?  Clearly, this is another company’s bow to the “no sugar, no sweets” groups in the country.  I’m not a customer of Dunkin’ Donuts.  In fact I’ve never been in one of their stores – they’ve only recently hit the West Coast.  And, even though I travel frequently to the East and Midwest, I’ve never had the occasion to stop in.  Now, the coffee shop called the “SpudNut Shoppe” is a different matter – I’m always eager to stop by, but not for their coffee.  Rather, because their donuts are made of potato flour and are absolutely delicious.  It would be the same were I to stop by a Dunkin’ Donut shop – I’d be there for their donuts, not their coffee.  But, because I’m not a customer, I’ll leave the recriminations to those who are strong supporters of Dunkin’ Donuts, but I will say that it’s a great shame to dismantle yet another American tradition just to cater to a small, vocal group of people.  What about the customer base – corporate Dunkin’ might want to decide to think about them.

DUMPIN’ THE DONUTS : Dunkin Donuts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *